Every time I throw a barbecue, I always make the same potato salad and a garden salad. My potato salad is fantastic, but the garden salad not so much. So this time I thought I’d whip up something different. This salad was pretty good, it was really easy to prepare and tasted great with our meaty leftovers for the next few days.
Pumpkin and Chickpea Salad
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Recipe – http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/669/pumpkin+and+chickpea+salad
- 1.2kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 6 dates finely chopped (see note)
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 large lemon, rind grated, juiced
Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease a large roasting pan. Combine pumpkin, 2 tablespoons oil, ground coriander and cumin in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to prepared pan. Roast for 20 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Allow to cool.
Combine pumpkin, chickpeas, figs, onion and chopped coriander in a large bowl.
Combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, lemon rind, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and salt and pepper in a jug. Pour over pumpkin. Toss until well combined. Serve.